By

Citizen Kane Editor Post-production Journal

Summary

In the post-production process, my work load heavily increases. I am responsible for the pasting together process. It is my duty to organize our shots in a pleasing way and to make necessary edits to complete the film. My involvement looks like me focusing on the computer screen for the entire class hour and at times asking my team if a certain edit looks appealing.

Discussions with Director

In this project we did not have a director but I worked closely with the cinematographer and screenwriter to make cuts at necessary times. When speaking with the screenwriter, I asked him for suggestions to determine times to cut according to his dialogue and when speaking with cinematographers I asked for suggestion of when to cut according to shot types enhance what is being said.

Test Edits

This test edit is the first time I have used a voice over in film when the audio heard is from another video clip.

This edit here shows utilization of what I learned about editing audio. I used the fade in and fade out sound tool to adjust the audio to my liking.

This edit here shows the fade to black transition we used to cut our shot. This was used to separate an idea from the documentary.

This edit here shows the fade to black transition we used to cut our shot. This was used to separate an idea in the documentary.

This last edit is an example of when I adjusted audio to accommodate the film. In this instance our speaking was speaking very loud and we quieted him down to 50% of the original.

Contributions with The Director

We had discussion during post production if it was necessary to show the entire film scene we were given to complete the task. We decided not to and only showed the parts of the film that went with our commentary.

Editing Software Screenshots

The mark highlighted at this point in the documentary shows when there is a dissolve in the film that we are discussing through Alex.

This transition here is one of the ways I utilized visually transitioning the documentary.

In the screenshot here there are examples of many techniques, the first being my use of audio transition shown 4 different times on the picture. Also, In the top shot here, the video of Mr. Thatcher has special effects used to enhance what is being said. I used the Ken Burns effect to zoom in on his face to emphasize Alex’s narration.

How I Could Have Improved The Film

I could’ve improved the film more by inserting myself further in the production process. I would’ve liked to see Alex looking at the camera more often and should’ve mapped how we were going to shoot his lines better. This is not fault of his because during the filming process I told him we would be on the film majority of the documentary anyway but during the post production process it was far better looking to have more shots of Alex to bring the documentary together. Other edits I wish we could have made is complexity with the cameras. We weren’t restricted to 2 cameras but we only used that amount when I wish we would’ve utilized 3 or 4 cameras instead.

What I Learned and Problems I Solved

I learned almost entirely everything I know about editing from this project. From the help of my peers and from web sources, I learned the ways to effectively put together a quality production. The biggest problem I solved was over coming my fear of not being able to handle my time properly. I was initially worried I would tinker with the tools too much and wouldn’t get the project finished in time but I overcame that by focusing every day in class and working until the bell rang each day.