Citizen Kane Editor Post-production Journal
In the post-production process, my work load heavily increases. I am responsible for the pasting together process. It is my duty to organize our shots in a pleasing way and to make necessary edits to complete the film. My involvement looks like me focusing on the computer screen for the entire class hour and at times asking my team if a certain edit looks appealing.
Discussions with Director
In this project we did not have a director but I worked closely with the cinematographer and screenwriter to make cuts at necessary times. When speaking with the screenwriter, I asked him for suggestions to determine times to cut according to his dialogue and when speaking with cinematographers I asked for suggestion of when to cut according to shot types enhance what is being said.
Contributions with The Director
We had discussion during post production if it was necessary to show the entire film scene we were given to complete the task. We decided not to and only showed the parts of the film that went with our commentary.
Editing Software Screenshots
How I Could Have Improved The Film
I could’ve improved the film more by inserting myself further in the production process. I would’ve liked to see Alex looking at the camera more often and should’ve mapped how we were going to shoot his lines better. This is not fault of his because during the filming process I told him we would be on the film majority of the documentary anyway but during the post production process it was far better looking to have more shots of Alex to bring the documentary together. Other edits I wish we could have made is complexity with the cameras. We weren’t restricted to 2 cameras but we only used that amount when I wish we would’ve utilized 3 or 4 cameras instead.
What I Learned and Problems I Solved
I learned almost entirely everything I know about editing from this project. From the help of my peers and from web sources, I learned the ways to effectively put together a quality production. The biggest problem I solved was over coming my fear of not being able to handle my time properly. I was initially worried I would tinker with the tools too much and wouldn’t get the project finished in time but I overcame that by focusing every day in class and working until the bell rang each day.